I admit I am not a slow cooker fan. Leaving an appliance turned on while away makes me uneasy, which is the main reason it took many years before using my crock pot for the very first time. A gift from my mom when I moved to my first apartment, my crockpot sat collecting dust in the cabinet for many years. Rarely are there weekends when Rolan and I have no plans. Mostly filled with social and family obligations or must-do errands. This weekend, I went to my local Ralphs supermarket and found beef chuck roasts on sale. With no specific recipe in mind, I bought a half pound pack. It’s a flexible cut of meat, we normally use for filipino recipe stews, like Nilaga or sour soup called Sinigang.
We mostly stayed home Saturday and I asked Rolan, “Wanna try the slow cooker pot roast recipe?” He said, “Sure!” And why not? Since we’ll be home, no need to feel anxious, as I could always check dish when I want. Plus, I had all the ingredients to make so no sweat…Nothin’ to lose, if it does not turn out the way I want it, I can always cut it up and make Mechado or Beef Kaldereta.
It took literally 10 minutes to prepare everything. Cleaning the crock pot, cutting the veggies, trimming the meat. Quick and easy, just set the meat on top of the veggies and pour some worcestershire sauce. Leave it on high for 6 hours.
Yummy! Tick tock tick tock…..ran a quick errand…still, tick tock tick tock…..and the countdown began…..4 hours, 5…the smell wafting throughout the whole house. It’s tempting to open the lid. And finally, 6 hours done!
I quickly opened the lid and tasted the meat. OMG! It blew my mind how this slab of beef is so melt-in-your- mouth tender! This simple recipe transformed into a delicious and tasty meal in 6 hours. It was worth the wait!
One thing I have to warn you about…it took us 6 hours to cook and 5 minutes to eat and tear up this dish! You have to try this recipe!
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 1 medium onion, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 medium potato, sliced into 2 inch cubes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Dry rosemary
- 1 beef chuck roast (approx 1.5 lbs), trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In slow cooker, stir together cornstarch and 1 tablespoons cold water until smooth.
- Add carrots and onions and season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine
- Sprinkle roast with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on top of vegetables, and drizzle with Worcestershire.
- Cover, cook on high fir 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).
- Transfer roast to a serving plate.
- Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.
- Add side condiment of fish or soy sauce
The second time I did this, I added potatoes in the slow cooker. It was quite disappointing since the potatoes sucked the juices leaving it quite dry. If you wish to add more vegetables, make sure it something that is not starchy.